A well-made chair is a perfect addition to any home, but sometimes making one can seem like an overwhelming task. To help you get started, Focal Upright will teach you the basics of how to make a chair.
There are many different types of chairs that can be made, including wooden chairs, bean bag chairs, beach chairs, and more. The process of making a chair is fairly simple but requires caution and precision in order to achieve the desired result.
Please refer to
This dining set of wooden chairs is sleek and mission-inspired. You can adjust the dimensions to fit different sizes. The back design can also be adjusted to suit your needs. The tools and skills required are simple to learn.
2x2s, 1x4s, and a sheet of 1.5″ plywood are all you will need. 1/4″ dowels, wood glue is also required. Both saws are available for rent at major hardware stores or other local businesses.
The legs of the chair must be built first. The construction of the front legs can be done easily, but the back legs will require you to use 2×4 beams to make the legs.
To cut the legs from the 2×4 slat, use a jigsaw. Use a router to smoothen their edges or a sand block.
Then, you can continue your woodworking project by building front legs and attaching them to the back legs. Use 1×4 lumber to cut the sides of the apron and glue them in place.
Make holes in the seatback, side rails, and bottom leg panels. Align the 40″ side rail with the top edge of the 2ft seatback. Place the bottom leg panel on the side rail, leaving a gap of 1 inch at the base of the seatback. Attach the bottom leg panel and the seatback to the side rail. Drill pilot holes with the hand drill through the side rail, into the seatback, and bottom leg panels. Drill pilot holes are important to avoid splitting during step 3.
Halfway through the 16.5″ posts drill 1/4″ holes, 1 1/6″ away from the top, and 2 1/3″ away from the top.
Both ends of the 1×4 boards should be cut with identical 1/4″ holes.
Halfway through the 37″ posts drill 1/4″ holes. Next, drill 14 1/6″ holes.
Use glue to attach dowels to the holes. You can then fit the pieces together to make the sides of your chair. You should align the side pieces with the tops and bottoms of the posts.
Then slide the 1x4s up from the bottom of each side piece, and screw them in place using decking screws.
Three pieces of 14-inch 1×4 are cut, and a 12-inch piece of 1×4 is divided into three pieces.
For the seat, cut a 17×17 inch square of plywood. To make space for the back posts, cut 1.5″x1.5” notches from two corners of the board.
Drill 1/4 inch holes in one of the 1x4s along with one of the long sides. One hole should be centered, and the other two should be 4 1/3 inches from each end.
This piece should be aligned with the piece that has the notches. The 1×4 will mark the positions of the dowel holes between the two notches. There are also 1/4″ dowel holes.
In each of the 3 pieces made from 1×4, drill 1/4″ holes for dowels.
For your decking screws, drill pocket holes that are centered at 1 3/4 inches from the tops of your short posts and 14 3/4 inches from your tall posts.
Attach dowels to the ends of the 3 pieces made from 1×4. Next, insert the dowels into the 1×4 pieces and into the seatback. Before you proceed, allow the glue to dry.
Place the seat with the side pieces underneath it. Glue the edges together. The decking screws should be inserted through the plywood, and into the middle of the posts.
Glue the last two aprons (front and back) and screw them in place using the pilot holes that you made earlier.
Next, insert two additional decking screws through the seat and into your back apron. The screw should be placed between the three vertical bars.
If you wish to create a stronger connection, corner brackets can be placed inside the chair.
To prepare the surface for painting or staining, and the inside of the chair. If you don’t like the straight lines, you can use this time to smoothen out the edges.
Apply wood glue to the side rail. Then Paint and stain the color as you wish. Once it is dry, you can finish! Enjoy your new chair.
Beanbags can be bought easily, but you can make this beanbag from recycled fabric with special prints. This makes it an excellent project for your teen’s room as well as for yourself.
1. Gather your materials. For this project, you will need 5 yards (4.6m) of fabric. This assumes the bolts measure 45 inches wide. If so, it is best to use something sturdy but soft. Bean bag filling will also be required. The filling can be purchased at most furniture stores, or you can make it from foam or mattress filling. You will need a sewing machine and thread. Also, scissors and measuring tape are required. It is also possible to use paper or cardboard for a pattern.
2. Create your pattern. Draw a pattern on either paper or cardboard. Twelve rounded triangles will be made with a 30″ height and a 20″ base. First, trace a 20-foot straight line on a piece of cardboard or paper. Next, measure 30 inches from the halfway point to find the endpoint. Use math or a protractor to ensure that your line is straight. Draw a soft curve starting at the 30′ point and ending at the 20′ line. Once you have it in the desired shape, fold it along the centerline. Then cut it out following the curve.
3. Cut your fabric. With a little space, you should be able to get two triangles per yard of fabric (you will need 12 triangles). You can leave a 1/2 inch seam allowance around the edges if you are able. When you are ready, cut the fabric. Measure twice and cut once.
4. Sew the halves. Two triangles should be sewn together on the 20-inch side. Continue this process until you have six panels that are canoe-shaped. Next, join three panels along their long sides to form a single piece. Continue this process for the remaining panels.
5. The halves should be attached. These two pieces of fabric should be pinned together. Next, sew around the edges, leaving 6 inches for turning.
6. The beanbag should be filled. Push the fabric through the hole to turn it inside-out. Now you can fill the bag with your preferred filling.
Don’t stuff the bag … it should be comfortable!
7. Close the hole. Close the hole using a whip stitch. Enjoy your beanbag chair.
Read our full guide How to make bean bag chair
You can make this project your own. This version uses PVC pipe 2 inches in diameter and provides a seating area approximately equivalent to a dining chair (18-22″)
1. Make the vertical section. Use a T-joint to join a 12-inch section of pipe to an 18-inch section. Both ends should be capped with L joints. Make another identical piece. These two ends should be joined at the L joint, one on each side closer to the T joint. You will need 26-inch pieces of pipe. Create a separate piece using a T joint in the middle and two 12 inch pieces. Join the two pieces at the top together.
Before trimming, all pieces must be dry-fitted. The end shape of your piece should be rectangular. You can trim your pieces if they aren’t fitting together correctly.
The T joints on the long sides should face inwards. The adjustment will be required for the upper T joint, which will be at a 45-degree angle to the long side.
2. Create the joint. Put a 2″ suction pipe in the T joints on both ends. Cap it with a mirrored T-joint.
3. Make the horizontal section. The long sides should be the same as the vertical section (12 or 18-inch pipe sections, capped with L joints). Join the ends closest to the T joint with an 18-inch section, and the opposite end with 8-inch sections and a joint. Now you should have two rectangles that are inside each other and connected at their lowest third point.
4. Make sure you measure for the angle you want. The seat is made between the shorter portion of the horizontal section and the long portion vertical section. The chair rests on both the long end and the short ends of the vertical sections. You can adjust the angle at which the two sections meet until you are satisfied with the angle of the seat and back. To create the angle you desire, measure the distance between T joints on both long sides.
5. Insert the back brace by cutting it. You can cut a length of pipe to fit the T joints.
6. Create the sling. The space to sit down is created by a sling that extends between the chair’s top and the seat’s front edge. This sling can be made from fabric or even Duct tape. It consists of a long piece of fabric with tubes at each end. These tubes are then attached to the PVC pipe. These tubes can be sewn into place, or you can cheat and use iron-on Velcro.
7. Enjoy your finished chair! Now your PVC beach chair has been completed. You can adjust the dimensions to make the chair smaller or larger or use a thinner PVC pipe.
This DIY lounge chair design is unique. It is suspended in the air using ropes. Only oak dowels, canvas drop cloth, strong rope, and a support hook are required. This chair is easy to make and perfect for relaxing on your porch.
You will need to sew, so a sewing machine is necessary. The written tutorial contains a concise and clear list of instructions.
It is not easy to build an armchair. The arms must be fitted into the chair’s structure. Also, it is difficult to make the chair look comfortable enough for daily use. This armchair was constructed so easily that you can use scrap wood from your workshop to create simple, rustic-looking furniture.
You will need 2×4 inches to make the chair’s frame. Galvanized wood screws, plywood, wood glue, wood glue, wood glue, Tung Oil, circular saw, chop saw, table saws, routers, and any other tools mentioned in the tutorial. This tutorial is short and simple. It is broken down into five steps.
The tutorial is short and easy. This design is great if you have spare pallets. This build was only possible with one pallet. A pallet, nails, and a belt-sander would be required.
These pictures show the transformation of the pallet into a pallet chair. He sanded down the chair using 50, 120, and 330 grit papers at the end.
He painted the chair using a leftover furniture stain to give it a stunning finish. The chair looks great, regardless of whether it has been stained. You can choose which stain you prefer.
Please log in again. The login page will open in a new tab. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.